Another God's Little Acre

I suppose one of my earliest memories of an awareness of God's presence was as a very small child. A new movie was all the rage--everyone was talking about it. Though, to this day I have no idea what it was truly about. The title was "God's Little Acre". I did look it up on the internet, but all I found was that it was quite controversial for it's day (1958). (Didn't even know there was a book!)

Anyway, as a then (can't believe this) 5 year old, I somehow got it into my head that if it was God's "acre" then naturally that "acre" had to be a cemetary. I knew we couldn't "see" God here, so somehow I connected the cemetary, and I suppose, death, with getting to "see" God. Oh, I was throughly convinced that this movie was about some type of glorious event!

I got all my cousins and neighbors to play out this movie with me. I think we might have used trash can lids as head markers. We marked out graves--though, how we knew to do such a thing, I have no idea! Don't truly remember it all, but I think as small children we all stood around praying at these "graves."

I can remember thinking, even way back then, that God was watching us and that He was somehow pleased.

No comments: