The First Time I Called Out to God

We lived near the ocean dunes as a child. (No, not affluent--just close). Dad used to take us there quite often. Dune buggies had just come on the scene and they were everywhere! It was such fun watching them--until that one day.
Everything was the same, the buggies going up and over the dunes. People watching, laughing--cheering them one (probably making them even more daring). Suddenly, one of the buggies went up in the air and came crashing down with the front of the vehicle hitting nose first into the sand. I saw it as if in slow motion. There was a young man standing on the back and he was holding on to the crossbar as they went headfirst into the sand. Strangely, the driver and passengers were fine, but this young man was thrown and his face and body were completely buried in the sand. People were motionless for a moment. Then, the people moved into action and started digging with all their might.
Oh, the time was passing so quickly, all I remember thinking was this man was going to die. Did he know Jesus? What would his parents have to go through? All strange thoughts for such a young girl. All I could do was to cry out to God to save this young man. God, please don't let him die. Please do something!
When they pulled him out he looked lifeless--no breath. I just kept praying. Don't think I've ever prayed as hard since. Oh, I know others were probably praying, too. But, it felt like just me and God at the time. Even though I was not saved at the time, I believe God honored my intercession. The boy sat up, coughed and began breathing!

No comments: